Reflections
When I started on this venture into Information and Library Science, I pictured myself working at a reference desk or a genealogy/history desk helping patrons locate information. I was currently working as a pharmacist at a mental health facility. Though I enjoyed working with staff, patients and colleagues, I felt my talents could be used elsewhere. I had acquired a passion for genealogy and the never-ending quest for information and I wanted to share it with others. The best route for this was going back to school.
I started with one course a semester while a juggled work and the never-ending schedule of my teenage son. After four semesters, the opportunity to retire (at ever a young age) occurred and I was able to become a part-time student at SCSU.
During these five years I have learned much about library and information science and I will share that with you in the following pages. I currently work as a volunteer cataloguer at Godfrey Memorial Library, a genealogy and family history center. I have used them as a primary source of projects and inspiration and publicly thank them .
I also had the amazing opportunity to spend a summer at Pfizer in New London, CT working with a virtual library and some very tech-savvy librarians. It was an amazing and very different from what I've ever seen. Working there gave me the opportunity to see a corporate team working to solve information problems while maintaining and developing new ways to share information. I discovered new document delivery systems (Infotrieve, Reprints Desk) and ways of managing time through Outlook and Information through Sharepoint.
So as I approach graduation, I know there is still much to learn and I look forward to it. As a lifelong learner, it is my hope to spread knowledge wherever there is a need. I view the courses that were taken satisfy my goal of working in or at a reference desk, but more to developing digital collections and in-depth research help for those seeking information on genealogy and family history. This doesn't exclude working at a medical or science library for which my background works well. I will continue to evolve as I gain experience.
Norma J. Wright